The true story about the birth of Jesus
Bible study: The True Story about the Birth of Jesus
|However, from all of that, what is really true, what is tradition and what does the Bible say?|
now the chapters about the birth of Jesus and follow the course of events
for yourself, as it is written in two of the gospels:
here to read the scriptures from the birth of Jesus in Matthew 1:18-25 and chapter 2 and also Luke, chapter 2
The correct order of events of the
birth of Jesus:
1. The birth of Jesus takes place in a stable in Bethlehem during the census of Caesar Augustus.
2. The shepherds on the fields of Bethlehem make their way to Mary in the stable after hearing the angel´s message. They see the newborn baby laying in the manger.
3. After the days of the cleansing, between 8 and 15 days, Mary and Joseph travel to Jerusalem to the temple and present their child in order to dedicate him to the Lord.
4. Afterwards they both return to Nazareth, and not to Bethlehem, in THEIR city, there where Mary and Joseph live. Several months go by.
5. Wise men (not kings) from the East appear there in Jerusalem and ask Herod where the newborn king of the Jews is to be born. (an unknown number of wise men; nowhere is it written that there were three, neither does the Bible mention any names; their names are unknown)
6. Herod calls the scribes and finds out that the prophets refer to Bethlehem. As a result, Herod sends them there; and asks them to inform him, after having found the child in Bethlehem.
7. They leave Jerusalem and make their way to Bethlehem. Outside of Jerusalem they see the star again which leads them on. This star guides them to the house of Joseph and Mary in Nazareth, and not into a stable in which the child is supposed to be.
8. They worship Him and leave their gifts there. While they are sleeping overnight, God speaks to them in a dream; telling them that they should immediately turn around and no longer go back to Jerusalem because Herod is looking for the child so that he can kill it.
9. Shortly after, an angel appears in a dream to Joseph in Nazareth und commands him to flee to Egypt and to remain there. Being loaded with enough gifts, such as gold etc. they seek the quickest way to Egypt (and stay there until Herod dies)
10. Herod is wondering why the wise men from the Orient have not yet returned to give him a report. He assumes that the kings are in Bethlehem. Therefore, he decides to send soldiers to Bethlehem, where the little child Jesus is supposed to be. He orders all the children that are under the age of two to be killed. (Why was it not the children at the age of 6 months or a year old?) The reason is that he found out roughly how old the child must be. The exact age of the little child at this time is not given in the Bible.
a. Herod probably received a list of the people who were at Bethlehem for the census. It is very likely that the baby Jesus was also recorded there.
b. The child Jesus was not among the murdered children, for he was already on the way to Egypt, or perhaps they had already arrived there (by ship?)
c. After Herod died they returned to Nazareth. (rw)